Thursday, April 23, 2015

Dining Room Makeover


Dining Room

Prior to having a new roommate I also had a different table set in my living room. It was a high top table, which I'm not a fan of for dining rooms or breakfast nooks. I do like them though for small floor plans and space. Initially when I purchased the high top table I was living in a tiny one bedroom apartment in the Westport area of Kansas City, MO. I loved my apartment, but everything had to be downsized when I moved there. Once I purchased my townhouse, I was ready to add larger pieces back to my homes interior. Below are two photo of my original high-top table and chairs from the first week I moved into my freshly painted place. We celebrated with margaritas and pizza!

Enjoying some food and drink when I moved into my place.

Old Dining Counter Top Height Chairs


One of the first things I purchased for my dining area was the chairs. I had wanted these chairs from Baxton Studio off of Amazon for years and finally had a place for them. A lot of the reviews reported having trouble assembling them, but I found it very easy. What people may have been challenged with is knowing how to line the right leg with the right hole in the base. It has to be aligned in a specific way. If you have trouble visualizing, all you would have to do is keep rotating the base until the holes all align correctly and problem solved!

Baxton Studio Chair
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HX36LY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once I purchased the chairs, I moved on to selecting a table.  I wanted the Silverado round dining table from CB2, but at $299.00 that is a bit pricey for my simple single lifestyle. Instead I went with the IKEA  Salmi table at $129.00, which is very similar, but a little smaller in diameter and has slightly different leg design. 
CB2 Silverado
http://www.cb2.com/silverado-round-dining-table/f3425

SALMI Table IKEA The table top made of tempered glass is easy to clean and more durable than ordinary glass.
IKEA Samli
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70102298/

The Salmi table was also very simple to assemble and is sturdier than I expected. The glass top is very heavy and the frame seems to be supporting that weight sufficiently.

First meal at my table.


Finished product.

Once I had my table and chairs, my next step was to select a rug. I felt like the floor underneath just needed a little something. I wanted to stick with the theme of green that goes throughout almost my entire home. Additionally I wanted something easy to clean. In the past I had a shag rug under my dining table and it was a pain to keep looking clean and fresh. To help with this I went with an indoor/outdoor rug. 

I went with another Amazon purchase of a 6'7" round rug for a total of $122.12. 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00871F9AA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Similar Item here:

http://www.buyarearugs.com/rugs-cy6918-244-xgx.html?fkjkckcy6918-244-7r&source=amazon-product-ads&utm_source=amazon-product-ads&utm_medium=shopping


Dining room table, chairs, and rug complete.

By simply adding the rug and an old fake plant with silver container that I got from Target years ago it adds a nice touch to the room. My next step will be to create four canvases to the wall that I'm working on personally! I'm still debating between birds or abstract. Additionally, I'm hoping to add more color and dynamic to the room with the art. That is one of my favorite aspects of art. When you have a basic room with similar colors (neutral), you can change out simple things like the art on the wall or the flowers on the table for a completely different effect. Stay tuned for more updates and seasonal changes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment