Monday, February 16, 2015

Master Bedroom Makeover

My home, like any homeowner knows, is a constant work in progress. One makeover that I truly enjoyed doing is my master bedroom. I have a three bedroom home and no children so I have had a roommate for the last few years. This makes my bedroom a pretty important place to me and I really wanted to turn it into my own oasis. Years ago I had purchased a bedding set that was King size from Macy's that I still absolutely love. It's Calvin Klein and I was very lucky to get a great deal on it! Once my old roommate moved out I wanted to do a ton of updates before my new roommate moved in and my master was top of the list. First I had to chose paint color to match my bedding and then furniture. I knew I wanted something dramatic for the walls but still have contrast with the furniture as well, so I went with a dark grey from Home Depot and IKEA's Nyvoll collection, which has unfortunately been discontinued recently. Luckily they have several new designs that can replace the Nyvoll look easily. 






These photos are from when I originally panted my room a beautiful green color and I had the MALM bedroom set in birch. I really enjoyed that room, but really needed a spare bedroom and wanted to upgrade from a full size bed to a king. 


Once we moved all of my old MALM bedroom set out and into the spare bedroom, I was able to tape and paint the walls. I chose the dramatic grey also because I have large windows that let in a lot of light. I personally would stick to light colors in darker, poorly lit rooms. 




In the painting process unfortunately little Oppenheimer (Oppie), my dachshund, tried to help a little too much and bumped his little leg against the wall! He wasn't happy that mommy thought it was funny and needed to take pictures, but he will survive! 






Be sure to always test a section of your wall first to ensure that you like your choice in wall color. I was quite happy with my gray and it definitely makes the furniture, wood work and bedding pop!




Once I got the furniture together I also purchased cheap matching lamps from Walmart and added a few decorative items to the nightstands that I've collected over the years. I also keep my leather journal right next to my bed. Journaling is so important to free your mind and let go of negative thoughts or events. 




Additionally I purchased a smart TV and mount to add above the dresser. I'm not completely satisfied with the decorative items on the dresser, and I really would like to add some plants and possibly something above the TV. I also need to install a cover for the cable that dangles form behind. 


Finally I added two fur rugs from IKEA that I've had for several years, which I'll eventually sew together. My only other goals I still have for this room is adding a mirror and white window treatments to the two over sized windows. Cheers!

1 comment: