Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Lemongrass






I purchased some lemongrass from the River Market here in KC. I pulled the outside stalks off and placed them in a vase in the sun. I was only able to get two stalks to grow, but they are still growing strong since mid-summer. Next year I plan to purchase and plant them earlier in the year. The stalks I had purchased were not as fresh as I would have hoped and I was still able to get two to sprout and successfully plant! Next year I may try this also with green onions to add more to my garden.



To plant, I let the roots form and then added them to a pot outside. I also placed this plant in the back patio, which faces east, to avoid too much sunlight. It worked surprisingly well!




Lemongrass is an option to citronella as a mosquito repellent. It's not quite as effective, but should help out on those humid and muggy nights. Lemongrass can be used for cooking, teas, and Lemongrass Mojiots <Recipe> as well! Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment